As one of the UK's top ten credit card companies, we provide Visa and MasterCard credit cards to people every day.
We want to make our customers' lives better. It might sound like a bold statement, but that's the kind of company we are. After all, our customers are the reason the business exists, so we want to make sure we're doing everything we can to bring them credit card products that really work for them. We believe that matching the right card to the right person is at the heart of responsible lending. And that it's down to us to help customers get the most from our credit cards by providing great service and creating products that are easy to understand and manage.
As part of our vision to make lives better, we have made the following commitments:
To truly meet consumer needs.
We want to make things effortless for our customers and give them products that really work for them. It's why we offer a range of credit card products to suit all needs, from those who want a card to help them build or rebuild their credit history to those who want to earn cashback on their purchases.
Give people what they would expect from us.
We know the banking industry hasn't been as transparent as it should have been in the past, but we want our customers to know exactly where they stand with us. We need them to know they can rely on us and trust us. We won't try and catch our customers out like some other companies, who may charge them a fee if they don't use their credit card for a while and if we offer a customer a zero per cent offer on balance transfers or purchases we won't take it away from them if they miss a payment.
Create lasting relationships with our customers.
We want our customers to know that we are a common sense company to deal with. We don't want to bamboozle people, so we make sure we're open and straightforward in all our communications. And our mobile app and online account servicing make it easy for our customers to manage their finances wherever they are.
- What's our background?
- We are a subsidiary of Capital One Financial Corporation in the US which started as an independent company in 1995, rising quickly to the top of the US credit card industry before starting our first overseas venture here in the UK in 1996
- In 1997 we opened our UK headquarters in Nottingham. This created around 1,200 jobs in the East Midlands
- Today we're a top ten credit card issuer in the UK
- In the US, Capital One Financial Corporation is one of the country's top ten banks offering a wide range of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients
- How have we changed people's use of credit cards & the service they receive?
- We've made some innovative changes to the way in which the credit card market works and how people use their credit cards including:
- Creating our Progress card, for those who want to improve their credit rating. It gives cardholders the chance to regularly reduce their interest rate provided they make their monthly payments on time and don't exceed their credit limit
- Launching our Credit Made Clearer campaign to help our customers understand credit and credit jargon, make the most of their credit card and find support and information if they're having problems making repayments
- Using our Information-based Strategy (award-winning information technology) to create new and original concepts. These ideas help us work towards making things better for our customers
- Making it easier than ever for our customers to manage their credit card account online. We're one of the major credit card providers on the internet and our website is straightforward and easy to use, allowing customers to check their statements, make payments online and much more. We've also launched a mobile app so customers can check their balance on the go
- How big is Capital One?
- Capital One has 40 million customers all over the world, and we employ 30,000 people globally. In the UK we're a top ten credit card provider with three million customers.
- What awards have we won for our products and services?
- We've won many awards and also received accolades for our work within the community. Below you'll find some recent examples.
- Winner of the Best Security or Anti-Fraud Development Award at the 2013 Card and Payment Awards. Our Fraud team really is the best in the business
- Second place in the Great Place to Work Survey. We've been recognised for nurturing a great team which focuses on development, work-life balance and trusted leadership. We also received a special call out for our work with the community and our customers, setting us apart in our industry
- Winners of the Best Use of Financial Education in the Workplace at the Employee Benefits Awards. Recognising the work that has been done during 2009 and 2010 on our pensions campaign for our employees
- Winners of the Youth Sport Trust's Inspire Young People To Take Part In PE or Sport Who Are Not Yet Engaged Regional Award. Nominated by one of our community partners, Nottingham's National Ice Centre, for all the work we've done in encouraging local children to try a new sport by learning to ice skate. We have now been put forward for the National Awards
- Highly Commended Award at the Moneyfacts Best UK Personal Finance Provider Awards 2010 for Best Innovation of the Year for our Progress Card. The card really challenges the traditional UK credit card market and it's great to be recognised for it
- Highly Commended in the Moneywise Customer Service Awards 2010 for Best Credit Card for Online Services
- Shortlisted for the international Beyond Sport Awards 2010 for the work we've carried out with the St Ann's and Sneinton Education Improvement Partnership (EIP). Our relationship has brought free, high-quality sporting activities to thousands of local children