28th April 2016
A Nottingham headquartered business is celebrating after being named one of the best places to work in the UK for five years in succession.
Staff at Capital One enjoy one of the best working environments in the country, according to the Great Place to Work® Institute.
The organisation was again named in the top five companies to work for (large category) at the Institute's prestigious awards event at Westminster Park Plaza, London, last night (April 27) compered by comedian Hugh Dennis. The outcome was based on a survey of Capital One's employees and a rigorous assessment by independent experts of workplace culture and management practices.
Chris Newkirk, CEO at Capital One UK, explained the achievement underlines the organisation's long-term commitment to maintaining a 'best in class' workplace environment.
He said: "We are on a bold quest at Capital One to bring ingenuity, simplicity and humanity to an industry ripe for change. Still founder-led today, we have stayed true to our founding imperative to hire great people and enable them to do amazing things. And I am fortunate to work with an extraordinarily talented team in London and Nottingham focused on helping our customers succeed financially. At Capital One UK, we have built an amazing workplace and we live our values and culture not to win awards, but in pursuit of supporting each other and our customers. That said, winning kudos from the prestigious Great Place to Work Institute and standing out in a competitive field is great validation that we're doing something right... not to mention having a ton of fun."
The company was rated fifth in the awards' large category - open to all UK businesses with over 500 employees - for 2016. It ranked first for three years running in 2013, 2014 and 2015, and ranked second in 2012.
- As part of the company's digital journey, Capital One has opened a new Software Studio and continues to hire some of the UK's most talented technical teams to build new products and services to help its customer successfully manage credit
- The company has a twitter handle (@CapitalOneGeek) to showcase what it's like to work within the digital world at Capital One
- Over the past year Capital One has continued to build upon its internal communications system 'Pulse'. The social media style platform is currently used for leaders and staff across the business to share updates about their work and blog about a diverse range of topics
- The company holds an annual 'Mission Day', which has been voted 'Best Corporate Event' at the UK Event Awards three times. Mission Day brings together all the UK's employees to share in thinking about the future direction for the business
- 'The Golden Ticket' reward scheme offers employees a chance to win tickets to events throughout the year. In the last 12 months Capital One has given away tickets to events such as the Brit Awards
- Capital One runs a wide array of community support initiatives involving employees; among them is Clicksilver which brings students and the elderly together with the purpose of helping older citizens to use technology, stay safe online and to connect with friends and family through social media